Wednesday 15 July 2015

Happy Endings...

Happy endings. I’ve had a few comments made to me lately that people don’t “like romance”. I have a hard time with this. I read a lot (a book a day) and I read everything from romance to fantasy to true stories to post-apocalyptic, dystopian books. I love to read. I also love a happy ending. Who doesn’t want a happy ending? Our lives are so crazy and upside down that a moment, an hour of smiling and happiness should come as a relief. I know for me it does.

I debated what style of books to write and it comes down to the fact that I want people to read my books and be happy. To enjoy without worry for a little while. To let their real lives drift away and escape into my book. And it is an escape – a welcome escape. I don’t want them to have to take months to read what I’ve written because it is so deep and life altering. Not that there is anything wrong with that – just not all the time. It’s like I really like ice cream. But would I want to eat ice cream for every meal over the next twenty years? No, sometimes I will want a cake or pie (because pie rocks). The point I am trying to make is that there is nothing wrong with diversifying in the styles that you read.

The other thing I want to say to the dissenter who doesn’t like romance is to ask if they’ve read any romance books in the last twenty or thirty years? Romance now has so many sub genres with plot lines like you wouldn’t believe. Romance can come in suspense, fantasy, horror, contemporary, historical even dystopian and so many more. Every genre that lives outside of romance now lives inside romance. Also these aren’t your mother’s romance books. Typically you won’t find bodice ripping virgins who swoon at her first kiss. They can be some of the highest quality well-written books you’ve experienced.

That being said with the advent of self-publishing you will find some…not so well-written, not so well thought out or plotted books. But I believe that is true for all genres now. You may want to take the time to read the samples and reviews before purchasing. But honestly I have found some new favourite authors who are self-published so don’t let that throw you off.

So give a happy ending a chance, you may find yourself surprised by how it makes you feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment